Friday December 26th
This is becoming a bit of a tradition. I headed up to Grassington again on Boxing Day, for a 3 night stay, It was my first winter stay in the new van and I was a bit jittery having seen endless posts in the Wildax Fb group about the vagaries of the the heating and its control panel. But it all worked beautifully, and a setting of 13/14 degrees was ample.
![]() |
| Spot the festive Stormtrooper |
Saturday
Walked into the village and had a lovely tapas lunch of fresh anchovies and garlic/tomato bread with Spanish beer - this place is worth coming back to. Walked down to Linton falls, seeing a yellow wagtail on the way. Went to the visitor centre and bought a map for the walk to Grass Wood tomorrow, but it looks as if it will be very muddy. Back by 2.15 as it was cold. Ordered some locks for the Heiki vent, to try and stop it rattling in the wind, and booked Steve to come and fix the bathroom tambour, which had jumped its rails. Sigh.Sunday
Walked up river to a place called the strid. Egret, kestrel. I didn't go on the walk to Grass Wood, it was bone-bitingly cold with grey skies, but I was out for about 2 hours on the river so that was a good day.
Dinner at the Gamekeeper Inn for their stonking meat pie, and afterwards I shared a table in the bar with other campers and had a nice chat.
NB Initially I was given the crappest table in the place, a 6 seater, opposite the main door and next to the loos. Then I was moved to one of the nice 2-seaters in the conservatory that I much preferred. Was this because someone saw sense? No. It was because I had been put on a dog-friendly table and had no dog. So basically the crappest table until it was decided I should be evicted in favour of a mutt. So now you know the solo diners place in the hierarchy.
Post trip update: Steve fixed the door and introduced me to the miracle of silicon spray.




