Sunday 17 September 2023

Kent and East Sussex - Part I

 


Overall an interesting but at times fraught, 10 day trip. Driving and navigating in this densely-populated area was difficult and tiring so I cut out several planned site-seeing trips. There was also a heatwave to contend with (up to 32deg). It made me wonder about some of my plans to tour alone in Europe - at least I didn't have driving on the right and language issues to deal with on this trip.   

7th Sept Cambridge stop over

Hot and tired so shopped locally for a snacky tea, and didn't visit Cambridge...

8th Sept Canterbury, Kent via Dartford crossing and Chatham Historic Dockyard

Well worth visiting this large outdoor museum site. Highlights: the rope walk tour, Hearts of Oak installation about wooden boat construction, the Big Space area full of miscellaneous 'stuff' from satellite models to old chains to lifeboats, getting on board a destroyer.






The campsite was packed. My grass pitch was surrounded by trees, but sadly next to a racist bore. Too hot to walk to town so I had to bus/taxi to town, and initial impression in my diary says 'Gawd,what a shame' - very scruffy, construction works and litter everywhere (this will become a recurring theme). The cathedral cloisters were lovely however.


Phil and Liz

Shame about the scaffolding


DIARY EXCERPT - RANT

All day I've been trying to take nice photos but the CRAP everywhere - adverts, warnings, hoardings, barriers, cleaning signs, tools discarded. No-one sees all this MESS! Bins, litter, bollards, tacked up notices, 'shop' signs on lovely buildings.

The next day was so hot I didn't visit Margate...

10th Sept, Hythe

Dungeness by heritage train

This was 'one of those days' with 14 things going wrong. No photos due to my phone not charging, so here is a link to the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway Unable to find the end of the line (or anywhere to park) I eventually set off from New Romney across the marshes to Hythe and then Dungeness. The landscape reminded me of East Anglia - flat and marshy with long bumpy single-track roads. 

Hythe was a lovely seafront town at this time of year, with a shady walk along Napoleonic-era military canal to the front and shingle beach. I eventually managed to get some lunch from the grumpy woman at the station cafe, who was very cross that people were arriving during her lunch break...

Dungeness was not exactly the remote location it is touted as, and due to the heat I just took a short walk on the boardwalk. Derek Jarman's cottage is now in private hands so I decided not to go up to it and gawk. A nice gallery owner mended my broken brolly/parasol for me. Had a pint of  Kent's Shepherd Neame in one of the 2 pubs and watched the crowds of people using the buses, trains and aeroplanes at this 'isolated spot'.

Dalesacres site was pleasant enough but no local eateries.

Sissinghurst

Beautiful day to visit Sissinghurst 'castle' and gardens. The title of 'castle' was a sarcastic nickname given by French prisoners who were shut up in its dank tower in 1750-ish during the Seven Year War. Interesting gardens as you would expect, and quirky house details supplied by Vera Sackcloth-Vest (aka Vita Sackville-West).





Lunch in a waspy orchard cafe, scented with roses and lavender, then back to the site along a scenic route with oast houses, hop fields, clapper-board houses - lovely. I drove through Rye, unable to find anywhere to park, again, so couldn't stop but it looked very attractive all tumbled over a hill down to a working harbour. I'm not surprised it is popular. Luckily found a great supermarket so I could have steak and wine for tea. 

Tonight, I am (sings to tune of Genesis Supper's Ready) 'Waiting for Battle!' as I hope to visit tomorrow, crossing in to East Sussex.